Delicious Dauntless Chocolate Cake Recipe
Updated: Dec 28, 2020
Veronica Roth's Divergent series has become insanely popular, and there is no mystery why! With its intriguing plot, and incredible world-building, this series is on every must-read list.
Disclaimer: This post may contain affiliate links, which means we will earn a small commission from your purchase using this link. Help support us with your purchase!
The concept of this series involves a dystopian world where people are split into factions based on their values; Abnegation value selflessness, Erudite value wisdom, Amity value peace, Candor value honesty, and Dauntless value bravery. On their 16th birthday, every citizen gets to choose which faction the will spend the rest of their life with, staying with their families, or leaving them behind for a new life.
Anyone who has read the Divergent series, has heard of the famous Dauntless chocolate cake. Although there are little to no details about the actual recipe in the book, it is widely know that no other food could ever come close.
After devouring this cake all too quickly, our family has to say the same about this delicious cake recipe!
2 ¼ cups of flour
2 cups of sugar
¾ cups unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 cup milk
½ cup vegetable oil
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup boiling water
1. Preheat the oven to 350° F.
2. Grease two cake pans and set aside.
3. Add the flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt to a mixer. Mix until blended.
4. Add the milk, vegetable oil, vanilla extract, and eggs to the mixer. Mix until well blended.
5. Slowly add the boiling water to the mixer on a low speed.
6. Divide the batter evenly in the pans and place them in the oven.
Tip: If the batter is too liquidy, add flour 1 tbsp at a time until it is the right consistency!
7. Bake for 30-35 mins.
8. Once cooked allow the cakes to cool for about 10-12 mins before removing from the pans. Then remove them from the pans and let them cool COMPLETELY before you add the frosting.
Tip: Cut the tops of the cakes off to make it easier to stack and frost!
1 ½ cup of butter (softened)
1 cup of unsweetened cocoa powder
5 cups of powdered sugar
½ cup of milk
2 tsp vanilla extract
1. In a mixer, cream together the cocoa powder and butter until it forms a paste.
2. Add the sugar and milk to the mixer, start mixing at a low speed and slowly increase the speed until the frosting forms.
3. Store the frosting in the fridge until you are ready to frost the cake!
Tip: Stack the cakes and add a light layer of frosting, then put it in the fridge for 5-10 minutes. This will make it easier to frost and decorate!